Thursday, October 27, 2011

Warm or Cold Water?

Washing your face sounds like an easy task but do you know how many logics there are behind the use of warm and cold water to wash your face?

Few weeks ago I was watching a Korean drama and there was a discussion between the girls on what water they should use to wash their face. They said that using cold water is better and improves the complexion. This made me very curious and I had been wanting to do a research on how true it is. Just now when I was washing my face, I was reminded of this and decided to do some goggle-ing on it.

Before I start, let's see this video that I found.


So warm water actually closed up your pores and cold water opened them up.
While what he said might be right, I had did some further research on the effects of warm and cold water.

Apparently washing your face with either warm or cold water will cause broken capillaries. What is broken capillaries?
Broken capillaries are commonly found on the cheeks or nose area these appear as small red / pink threads under the skins surface, most. Broken capillaries occur when the capillary walls narrow and widen too quickly causing the muscles in the walls to tear. This in turn allows the blood to seep out resulting in broken capillaries.
Dehydrated, dry and sensitive skins often have thin skin that provides less protection and therefore, these skin types are the most commonly effected.
There seems to be no right or wrong answer to the use of different types of water to wash your face.

While warm water is effective for washing away greases and dirt, cold water does a good job in soothing the skin from redness and dark eyes circles.

I have test both ways and here are my findings:

Warm Water
- Cleanses thoroughly
- removes oil from skin easily

Cold Water
- Reduce redness from my acnes
- Reduce my dark eyes circle

After my test, I had came up with my own preference:
1. Makeup remover + Warm water to rinse away dirts and greases on my face
2. Cleanser + Cold water to sooth my skin

Since my pores are opened after using cold water, I will use my toner to close them up again and then follow up other skincare products. After a week of testing, I felt that my complexion does improves as compared to the past where I used warm water alone.

Try it and tell me about your findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment