Tuesday, October 18, 2011

All about Collagen

Recently I had been talking to my friends about the collagen drinks that we are taking. After trying Meiji, Fancl, Hadatuko and DHC, so what are the improvements that I have seen to know if the product works?

What is Collagen?
Collagen is a group of naturally occurring proteins found in animals, especially in the flesh and connective tissues of mammals. It is the main component of connective tissue, and is the most abundant protein in mammals,[2] making up about 25% to 35% of the whole-body protein content.

Collagen contains amino acid which serve as the building blocks of proteins. Without enough of a dietary source of essential amino acids, our bodies can have trouble making the proteins needed for ordinary functioning, and we can end up malnourished.

Collagen has great tensile strength, and is the main component of fascia, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, bone and skin. Along with soft keratin, it is responsible for skin strength and elasticity, and its degradation leads to wrinkles that accompany aging. It strengthens blood vessels and plays a role in tissue development. It is present in the cornea and lens of the eye in crystalline form

Is it really needed to take Collagen?
From a nutritional point of view, collagen and gelatin are a poor-quality sole source of protein since they do not contain all the essential amino acids in the proportions that the human body requires—they are not 'complete proteins' (as defined by food science, not that they are partially structured).

Manufacturers of collagen-based dietary supplements claim that their products can improve skin and fingernail quality as well as joint health. However, mainstream scientific research has not shown strong evidence to support these claims. Individuals with problems in these areas are more likely to be suffering from some other underlying condition (such as normal aging, dry skin, arthritis etc.) rather than just a protein deficiency.



How do I know if my Collagen is working for me?

I have did a search on all the reviews done by people who had been taking Collagen constantly and the following are the most common signs of improvement after taking Collagen:

- Reduction of fine lines
- Skin is more elastic
- Skin is more hydrated
- Brighter and radiant looking skin
- Less oily skin
- Reduce outbreak
- Minimize pores

I have decided to do a review table on all the collagens that I had tried and test which of the result above had happened after I took the collagen.

DHC
Hadatuko
Fancl
Reduction of fine lines
NA
NA
NA
Skin is more elastic
N
Y
Y
Skin is more hydrated
Y
Y
Y
Brighter and radiant looking skin
N
Y
Y
Less oily skin
N
Y
N
Reduce outbreak
N
N
N
Minimize pores
N
Y
Y

For myself, I don’t really have any fine lines yet so I can’t judge on the reduction of fine lines claim. I do have some quite serious outbreak problem on my chin area frequently and none of these drink actually helps in my case.

DHC Collagen Beauty 7000+

Collagen content: 7000mg
Taste: Very sweet
Side Remark: Everytime I take this, I will get sore throat.

Hadatuko 10,000mg Marine Collagen Drink
Collagen content: 10,000mg
Taste: Grape Juice Flavor
Side Remark: I don’t really like the taste of this but my friend say that she find it okay.


Fancl Tense Up EX
Collagen content: 2,600mg
Taste: Apple Juice Flavor, quite sweet
Side Remark: Although the collagen content is the lowest out of the 3, the effect is actually good.

I did not cover Meiji collagen as I only took it once and I seriously cannot stand the fishy smell of it! I sold my remaining can to my colleague who mixed it with orange juice and milk. She said that this reduced that fishy smell a lot.

Conclusion
My preferred collagen drink is still Hadatuko as I can see the result clearly after my 10th bottle. However, my friend who took this told me that she did not see any visible signs of improvement. The result from taking collagen is dependent on individual body system. The only way to find out which one works for you best is to try them.

I still have 3 boxes of Tense up EX and I am thinking of switching back to Hadatuko after that.

3 comments:

  1. I heard that some efficient of a product maybe because of the person's blood type? Is it possible to know what is yours and what blood type is your friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    My blood type is A but im not sure abt my friends.

    So far I didnt hear anything abt blood type affecting the effect of collagen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the same problem. Whenever I take DHC 7000, I got very bad sore throat. :(

    ReplyDelete